I am a Criminal Defence Lawyer
I care about people. I care about people who feel helpless and believe that their life is over. Everyone walking this earth makes mistake. No one is perfect and everyone slips at some point.
I do not care if you're innocent or guilty. I do not care about your race, gender, or political views. I only care about defending people who are facing life threatening restrictions on their liberty. I am not here to judge you, only to defend you.
I represent everyone from University and High school students, to engineers, doctors, teachers, and mechanics. I represent clients on First-Degree Murder charges, Sexual Assault, Firearms, Drug Trafficking, DUI, Aggravated Assault, and many more.
My practice focuses heavily on Sexual Assaults, Domestic Assaults, Impaired Driving and Drug Trafficking. I have litigated numerous types of cases in these areas with a track record of success. Click here to see a sample of my cases.
I graduated Magna Cum Laude from the University of Ottawa for my undergraduate degree. I graduated Cum Laude from the University of Ottawa’s Faculty of Law with a Juris Doctorate Degree. I was at the top of my class in Criminal Law and Trial Advocacy. I articled under a senior and renowned Criminal Defence Lawyer in Toronto before moving back home to Ottawa to open my practice.
Since openeing my practice years ago, I have litigated cases all over Ontario from Sault-St. Marie, Sudbury, Toronto, Kingston, Brockville, Ottawa, Cornwall, and L'Orignal. I have successfully tried and argued many different types of motions and cases, including;
- Sexual assaults at both levels of court (including Jury Trials in the Superior Court of Justice)
- Large scale drug trafficking cases at both levels of court
- Garofoli applications to quash search warrants and production orders involving wire taps, confidential informants, cellular and vehicle tracking
- Preliminary Inquiries for First-Degree Murder, Drug Trafficking, and Sexual Assault of a minor
- Constitutional Challenges to strike down legislation
- Charter applications to exclude evidence for violations ranging from: s.7 (abuse of process, right to a fair trial), s.8 (unreasonable search and seizsure and violations to the right of privacy), s.9 (arbitrary detention), s.10(a) (right to be informed of the reasons for arrest/detention), s.10(b) (right to be informed of the right to counsel), s.11(b) (right to a trial within a reasonable amount of time).
- s.276 and 278 applications to adduce evidence of other sexual activity and documents that the complainant has a reasonable expectation of privacy in.
- Third Party Records applications
- Hearsay Applications
- Bail Review and Detention Review applications
- Severance applications
- CCTV applications
I am a member of the Defence Counsel Association of Ottawa, the Criminal Lawyers’ Association, and the County of Carleton Law Association.
Click here to contact Nikolas Lust.